Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Ritchie333
Gregarious
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

RfB - Jo-Jo Eumerus

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:40 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... Jo_Eumerus

Seems like a fine candidate to me, but I nominated him for RfA in the first place, so I'm probably not a neutral judge on that.

I used to think Leaky caldron (T-C-L) was a reasonable chap who made good points and was fed up with admins belittling him, now I just think he's thin-skinned. Somebody should invite him on here.

Mason
Habitué

Re: RfB - Jo-Jo Eumerus

Unread post by Mason » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Thin-skinned? Yeah, that checks out. One time when he was being a tit on one of the noticeboards and I told him I found his relentless sniping unpleasant, he accused me of "bullying" him.

Mostly he just likes to hear himself talk, I think. Just don't talk back, though.

Ritchie333
Gregarious

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:21 pm

He popped onto my talk page a while back to complain about something and made a frightening spectacle of himself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:10 pm

Amazing; when did we last have three RfBs going at once? I know Jo-Jo as one of the very best admins when it comes to content creation (if that's not damning with faint praise). I have little experience of him acting as an admin.

Currently 26/6/1 or 81%, which is probably not a pass, but it's early days yet. If the crats consider the strength of the arguments, they may feel that most of the opposes are weak. The idea that making him a crat will weaken the admin group because he'll spend loads of time being a crat is daft. By that argument, only useless rubbish admins would be allowed to be crats. Indeed, only useless rubbish admins would be allowed to be on Arbcom ... hm.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:10 pm
Amazing; when did we last have three RfBs going at once? I know Jo-Jo as one of the very best admins when it comes to content creation (if that's not damning with faint praise). I have little experience of him acting as an admin.

Currently 26/6/1 or 81%, which is probably not a pass, but it's early days yet. If the crats consider the strength of the arguments, they may feel that most of the opposes are weak. The idea that making him a crat will weaken the admin group because he'll spend loads of time being a crat is daft. By that argument, only useless rubbish admins would be allowed to be crats. Indeed, only useless rubbish admins would be allowed to be on Arbcom ... hm.

Not sure that I fully agree there, PL. No one is compelled to do anything, but if the parallel with RL is applied, people who gain "promotion" tend not to continue to do the job of the lower grade. I would say it is possible - maybe unlikely in all 3 cases - but not entirely ruled out. The broader point about needing more 'crats is total pish. You don't need a button to produce excellent arguments in a 'crat chat situation - whether you have the official bauble or not. CCs are as rare as rocking horse shite anyway. No, this is just WP-en being top-heavy with office-holders without any evident need. I'm surprised Richie himself has not nominated himself, but maybe he has too many skeletons. I didn't credit him with having such perspicacity. :evilgrin:

Ritchie333
Gregarious

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm not nominating myself as I'm too controversial and have yelled at too many people, plus I'm not really interested anyway. A number of people have suggested I run for Arbcom, but frankly I'd rather stick red hot pokers in my eyes.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 pm
I'm not nominating myself as I'm too controversial and have yelled at too many people, plus I'm not really interested anyway. A number of people have suggested I run for Arbcom, but frankly I'd rather stick red hot pokers in my eyes.
so would I. :hrmph:

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Ritchie333 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 pm
so would I. :hrmph:
I'd do it, just for the lulz.

Hangin' Judge Vigilant presidin'...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Ritchie333
Gregarious

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:52 pm
You'd do anything for the lulz, though. Except maybe a night out with Abd, that is.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:54 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:52 pm
You'd do anything for the lulz, though. Except maybe a night out with Abd, that is.
Add Corbett and Baxter to that list.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:38 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:03 pm
Not sure that I fully agree there, PL. No one is compelled to do anything, but if the parallel with RL is applied, people who gain "promotion" tend not to continue to do the job of the lower grade. I would say it is possible - maybe unlikely in all 3 cases - but not entirely ruled out.
I made three points:
* Being a crat is so little work these days (their main job, renaming accounts, has been taken away) that it should make little difference,
* If good or active admins are barred from being crats, only useless idle ones will become crats, which is in nobody's interest.
* Would that apply to Arbcom elections, given that being on arbcom is (or ought to be) a lot of work? Do we want Arbcom to be constituted entirely of useless idle admins?

I can add that the last two pints also apply to checkusers and oversighters.

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 pm

We haven't had a crat chat for an RFB in ten years. Wonder how this one will play out.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:40 pm

56/13/3 is still 81%. Maybe it's a crat chat, but I suspect it will be a fail with no chat. No doubt there will be a secret chat about whether to have a public chat.